Temple University now has a kiosk containing 24 portable battery units called power banks for charging your laptop or mobile devices. As a student, you can borrow a power bank and bring it to your classroom. After class, you can then return the power bank to the kiosk.
This service is free, and the borrowing period is up to five hours, depending on when the building closes.
Note: Each power bank includes a standard three-prong outlet and USB ports, but does not include the cables that connect to your devices. So you make sure to please bring your own.
A photo of a power bank and kiosk appear below:
Interested in learning more on how to use the kiosk and power bank? View our "How to..." instructional videos:
The Battery Share kiosk locations are listed below. To borrow a power bank, swipe your OWLcard and log in with your AccessNet username and password.
- 1st floor:
- 1 kiosk on the near the East side entrance
- 1 kiosk in 24/7 area near the Event Space
- 2nd floor:
- 1 kiosk behind the elevators near the BookBot viewing windows
- 3rd floor:
- 1 kiosk on the east side in the periodicals reading area
- 4th floor:
- 1 kiosk on the west side, at the top of the stairs
- 1 kiosk on the north end, by the open study area
- Second Floor Lobby
- 1 kiosk in the front lounge
Temple Center City Campus
- Lab 404
- 1 kiosk near the Consultant Desk
- Borrowing Period
You can borrow one power bank at a time, for five hours.
There is no cost for this service, provided you return the power bank within the five hour borrowing period (see Late Fines below).
- Carrying the Power Bank
You may not take the power bank out of the building.
- Return Process
Please return the power bank to a kiosk listed in one of the locations above. Make sure to slide the power bank all the way in the slot until it locks in place. Then wait until a thank you message appears on the screen to confirm that the power bank is secured. Once the battery is recharged, the power bank will then be available again for borrowing.
- Late Fees
If you are late in returning a power bank, your account will be charged a fine: $10 for every hour that the power bank is late up to 24 hours. After 24 hours, you will be charged the cost of the power bank.
- Liability and Responsibility
You are responsible for the safety and condition of the equipment that you borrow. For more information, see the Borrower's Agreement.
- What is Battery Share?
Battery Share is a pilot program that Temple is testing to loan power banks through an automated kiosk. The program allows students to borrow a power bank from one kiosk and return it to another. Please let us know what you think by sending email to email@example.com or by completing the short survey when you return a power bank.
- How long can I borrow a power bank?
You can borrow a power bank for up to five hours.
- Is there a late fee and how much is it?
Yes, there is a late fee of up to $10 per hour for every hour it is late.
- Where do I view my fees and how do I pay?
Late fees are processed through the University Libraries. To view your fees, log in to your library account by going to http://library.temple.edu and clicking My Library Account. To pay your fees, please visit the One Stop Assistance Desk at Charles Library.
- What happens if I lose or damage the power bank?
You are financially responsible for loss or damage.
- Do I have to sign an agreement form?
Yes, at the kiosk when checking out a power bank. Click "I agree" after reviewing the agreement.
- What do I do if the power bank is not functioning properly?
Return the power bank to the kiosk. If returned within 15 minutes, you will be asked if there was a problem with the power bank. Please choose the answer that best describes the issue. Check out another power bank if available.
- Can I return a power bank to a staff member?
No, power banks must be returned to a kiosk, and inserted completely into an open bay. If there is a problem with the kiosk, please see Get Help below.
- Do you restrict where I can take the power bank?
Yes, please do not remove the power bank from the building.
A copy of the borrower's agreement appears below:
Battery Share Terms of Service
Temple University Information Technology Services is offering battery share to all currently enrolled Temple University students. Battery share will allow students to borrow a power bank for a period up to five (5) hours.
To use the Battery Share program, I agree to abide by the following usage guidelines:
- I can only borrow one power bank at a time.
- I must present a valid Temple University OWLcard.
- I must never leave the power bank unattended.
- I must return the power bank in the same working condition and good order in which I received it.
- I must return the power bank to the kiosk within five hours, and place the power bank securely in the kiosk.
- I must abide by the Temple University Technology and Software Usage Policy.
- I understand that I am financially responsible for the value of the power bank borrowed, up to a maximum of $150, if the power bank is late, damaged, lost or stolen. (See “Late Fines” and “Liabilities and Responsibilities” below.)
- Failure to comply with these guidelines may also result in denial of current and future privileges for the Battery Share Program.
If the guidelines above are followed, use of this Battery Share Program is free. If I am late in returning the power bank, I will be subjected to the following fines:
- $10.00 for up to 60 minutes late; and
- $10.00 each 60 minutes or portion thereof late beyond the initial 60 minutes.
- After 24 hours late, I will be billed for the replacement cost of the power bank which is one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
Liabilities and Responsibilities
I assume all responsibility for the safety and condition of the power bank borrowed through the Battery Share Program:
- I will report any malfunctions and/or damage when returning the power bank. (Please see Get Help below.)
- I will report immediately, any power bank that appears damaged at time of checkout. (Please see Get Help below.)
- I am responsible for the costs of repair and/or replacement of the power bank that results from theft, loss, misuse, or neglect by myself or any other persons. My maximum liability for repair or replacement is one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
- I also agree to pay any collection costs and/or attorney’s fees if I do not pay amounts owed by me when due.
- I agree the University can place a hold upon my registration for classes and/or my graduation, restrict me from participating in the Battery Share program, and withhold official transcripts and diplomas.
- The University assumes no responsibility for the performance or functioning of your devices.
- By clicking the “Agree” button below, I certify that I have read, understand and hereby accept all of the terms and conditions of, and do intend to be legally bound by this agreement with Temple University.