Personalize your @temple.edu email address.
Table of Contents
An alias is a nickname used to personalize your @temple.edu email address. You can have up to five email aliases for your account. Unless it was already in use, an alias of email@example.com was automatically assigned to you when your account was activated (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
The alias listed as your display alias appears in the Search Results box in the Cherry & White Directory.
An alias appears to be a separate email address but messages are sent to your existing email account. You can use your email alias to log in to TUmail, but you still need to use your AccessNet username to log in to Temple's systems, such TUportal.
- Go to the Cherry & White Directory, click Update your entry, and then log in.
Log in to TUportal and click Cherry and White Update
- Type each alias into an Alias box as shown below. Note the following naming requirements:
- must begin and end with a letter of the alphabet (lowercase or uppercase) or a number,
- must contain at least three characters,
- can contain dashes (-) or periods as long as they are not at the beginning or the end of the alias.
- To set an alias as your Display Email Alias, click the circle to the left of the desired alias. Your display alias is used when sending mail in Canvas and it appears in the Search Results box in the Cherry & White Directory.
- After editing the alias information, click Submit. Please note it will take 30 to 45 minutes for the alias to be created.
Note: These instructions are for Temple Gmail users but not Exchange Users. For Exchange users, see the section below.
After creating an alias as decribed above under Create an Alias, make sure to wait at least 30 to 45 minutes before performing the steps in this section.
Update Your Mail Settings
To have your alias appear in the From address of your outgoing mail messages:
- Log in to your TUmail account.
- Go to the upper-right corner, click the gear icon, and select Settings.
- Under Settings, select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
- In the Email address field, enter the alias you created, such as email@example.com.
- Click Next Step.
- If you are prompted to verify your email address, click Send Verification. Then look for an email with the subject Temple University Confirmation and click the link in the message to confirm the request.
- Go back to the Accounts tab and click make default to select the From address you want to use on a regular basis.
- When sending a message, you can toggle between your aliases by clicking the drop-down menu next to the From name and selecting the alias. If you don't see the From name, first click the recipient's name or email address.
- If you access Temple Gmail using an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, you need to change the From address in the client.
- When you subscribe to a Listserv mailing list, you are identified by your From address. If you change your From address, you may not be able to post messages to your lists. In order to post messages, you must use the same From address that you had when you subscribed.
To use the alias for your outgoing mail, make sure the alias is set as your Display Email Alias as described in step 3 above in the Create an Alias section. Your From address will be updated automatically to reflect the Display Email Alias.
Note: When you subscribe to a Listserv mailing list, you are identified by your From address. If you change your From address, you may not be able to post messages to your lists. In order to post messages, you must use the same From address that you had when you subscribed.