Use Google Analytics to track your website usage.
Google Analytics is the university’s accepted website tracking tool that allows the Strategic Marketing & Communications division to run reports and utilize the data to create a dashboard that can be distributed to executive leadership.
All new websites created for the university (school/college, center or administrative units) are required to have Google Analytics. It is recommended the Temple staff involved in the creation of a new website contact the Strategic Marketing and Communications team (via email@example.com) and request for the Google Analytics code to be created and given to them for use on their site. In order to help advocate and assist groups who are having issues with their Google Analytics, the Strategic Marketing & Communications team requests to have full admin access (Manage Users, Edit, Collaborate, Read & Analyze) to a site’s analytics.
Data collected from the university’s various websites are used for the purpose of providing marketing information for the university. Individual site’s specific analytics data will not be shared without the Strategic Marketing and Communications team contacting the site’s owner and asking for permission. Data collected are aggregated and implemented into a high level dashboard that acts as a benchmark for the university’s entire web platform.
Examples of the type of data that will be used for a report are:
- Number of visitors
- Page views
- Average time spent on page
- Country, state, city
- Top 5 mobile devices
- Top 5 browsers
- Log into Google Analytics at http://www.google.com/analytics/
- Click the Admin tab, located at the top right side of the page.
- You will see the websites listed that you have access to. Click the User Management tab, located in the far left column.
- Once you click User Management, you will see the users who have access to your account.
- In the Add permissions for box, enter firstname.lastname@example.org, and check off all permission levels for this account. Check the box for Notify this user by email, and then click the Add box below to save this information.