Learn about Temple's landline telephones.
Table of Contents
Information Technology Services offers Voice over IP (VOIP) for all the Temple University campuses. This technology offers enhanced features, such as the ability to support multiple calls at one time, as well as limited conference calling.
Faculty, staff or guests who work at a university-owned property, can request new voice line service or change existing service/telephones by completing the Office Landline Telephone form. Please note that Temple University Voice over IP (VOIP) phones require an active Internet connection.
Plan on a period of 15 business days for your order to be completed. Depending on the current workload, each order item can be expedited for an additional charge based on two time frames:
- 1-3 business days
- 4-7 business days
For ordering assistance or to check on the status of your request, call 8-VOIP or 215-777-8647 during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
To learn about voicemail service, please see the Landline Voicemail page.
Quick Reference Guides
Detailed Reference Guide
Placing a Call
For external calls, first press 9 to get an outside line.
For international calls, first press 9 + 011+ country code, city code + telephone number.
For internal calls, you can dial a campus prefix followed by the four-digit extension:
|Location||Internal Ext.||Full Ext.|
|Main Campus & TUCC||1-xxxx||9-215-204-xxxx|
|HSC & Episcopal||2-xxxx||9-215-707-xxxx|
|Ambler & Fort Washington||3-xxxx||9-267-468-xxxx|
|HSC, Episcopal & Northeastern||7-xxxx||9-215-926-xxxx|
|Tyler School of Art & School of Podiatric Medicine||8-xxxx||9-215-777-xxxx|
Important Phone Numbers
- Temple University Campus Safety: 1-1234 or 215-204-1234
- Temple University directory assistance: 1-7000 or 215-204-7000
You can set up call forwarding and speed dialing, set ring tones and set audio (speaker/headsets). Please use the Office Landline Request form to request other changes, such as adding lines or changing dialing access.
You can initiate conference calls using the following methods:
- Press the conference button on your VOIP Telephone for 3-way conference calling.
- Use Verizon Telephone Conferencing for small meetings up to 20 participants. To learn more, see the Audio Conferencing page.
- Use Zoom for video and audio conferencing across mobile devices, desktop and telephones. To learn more, see the ITS Zoom page.
This feature alerts you that there is another incoming call. The call will automatically go to Line 2 on your phone. To disable call waiting, press #43. To re-enable it, press *43.
Caller Pick-Up Group
This feature enables you to answer other voice lines in your department that are not associated with your telephone. To request a Caller Pick Up Group, submit a Office Landline Request form. On the form, list the voice lines to be part of the group. Once your request has been completed, press *98 to answer any voice line in the Caller Pick-Up Group.
This feature will program your phone to automatically redirect incoming calls to ring at another number or go directly to your voice mailbox.
- To forward to an on-campus extension, type: Campus Prefix +Extension
- To forward to an external telephone number, type: 9 + Area Code + Telephone Number
When setting up call forwarding, make sure to confirm that your calls are being forwarded to the correct telephone number.
To forward your phone number to another phone, perform one of the options below:
- TUportal Method
Log in to TUportal and click Telecom Self Service on the left. Next, click the Telephone tab and select Call Forwarding. Follow the instructions to add the forwarding number, select a day/time you would like forwarding to end or leave it as Forever and click Save Changes. You will receive an email confirmation letting you know that forwarding is enabled or disabled.
Note: To use this method, your phone number must be listed as your Direct Phone in the Cherry & White Pages. To add your phone number as a Direct Phone:
1. Log in to TUportal , click Manage My Account on the upper-right portion of the screen and select Manage Addresses and Phones.
2. Make sure your phone number is listed as a Direct Phone. If you need to delete or change this number, make sure Two Step is set to NO. Then click the pencil icon to make changes or the Trash icon to delete the phone.
3. To add a phone, click the Add Phone button and follow the prompts. Make sure to select Direct Phone next to Phone Type.
Once your phone is added as Direct Phone, scroll down to the Your Cherry and White Directory Information section and make sure the phone is selected next to Direct Phone.
- Office Phone Method
There are two methods to activate call forwarding from your office phone:
1. Press *72 followed by the telephone number to which calls should be forwarded.
2. Press the pound sign (#).
To disable call forwarding, press *73.
Press the Call Forward softkey to display the Call Forward menu. You can then use the navigation button to set the No Answer, Busy or All forwarding conditions by entering the telephone number, checking the On box and then pressing Save.
Caller ID Masking enables your outgoing calls from home to appear to come from your Temple phone number. To set up this feature:
- Log in to TUportal.
- Select Telecom Self Service under TUapplications.
- Click the Telephone tab and Caller ID Masking.
- Follow the on-screen instructions at the bottom.
For questions or assistance, call 8-8647 (8-VOIP) from on campus or 215-777-8647 (215-777-VOIP) from off campus.