October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM). Temple University's Information Technology Services Department is participating in this important initiative to raise awareness about best practices for staying safe online. Stay tuned all month long for events and giveaways and follow our security tips on Twitter and Facebook.
THE TWEET A CAPTION CONTEST IS BACK THIS YEAR! The Information Technology Services NCSAM contest is open to all currently enrolled Temple University students with the following grand prizes:
- Four winners (one for each week) will receive a prize of $25 in Diamond Dollars.
- The best, out of the four weekly winners, will receive a $100 Diamond Dollars bonus grand prize.
Table of Contents
To participate, tweet a caption for the graphic below that helps build awareness of NCSAM and incorporates the following theme:
- This Is Phishing, Don't Get Caught
The caption must be submitted by the participant through a tweet from their personal Twitter account, mentioning the @TempleTech Twitter handle, as well as including the hashtag #CyberAware.
For steps on how to set-up a Twitter account, refer to Twitter's instructions here.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS EVERY FRIDAY IN OCTOBER AT 4:00 PM. If you have questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
Come meet our Information Security team and learn more about cyber safety at any of the following Information Security Booth events.
|Tuesday, October 2||11:30 am - 1:30 pm||Gladfelter Hall|
|Wednesday, October 3||11:30 am - 1:30 pm||Weiss Hall|
|Wednesday, October 10||11:00 am - 1:00 pm||HSC Student Faculty Center|
|Monday, October 15||12:00 pm - 1:30 pm||Medical Education and Research Building (MERB)|
|Tuesday, October 16||11:30 am - 1:30 pm||Podiatry|
|Wednesday, October 17||11:30 am - 2:30 pm||Bell Building|
|Friday, October 26||9:00 am - 12:00 pm||Loading Dock Across from the Tech Center 12th Street before Montgomery (SHRED EVENT)|
2018 Paper Shred Event (Shred Day) FAQs
Secure Paper Shred Event
Friday, October 26, rain or shine from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at 12th Street and Montgomery Avenue, right across the street from the TECH Center Entrance.
- How much paper can I bring to the paper shred event?
You can bring up to 30 lbs of paper to shred, in general, we limit this weight per person during the first hour of the event.
- Who can I call or speak to if I have other questions about this Shred Day?
Please contact Information Security and Privacy at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about the event.
- What about other campus locations?
Please contact email@example.com for additional information for other campuses. ProShred Paper Shred Bins are located at various campuses as well as building locations and can be used to responsibly and safely discard paper for secure pickup and shredding by ProShred.
- How much shredded material does the ProShred truck hold?
One of the ProShred mobile destruction trucks averages 10,000 pounds capacity. This allows ProShred to shred approximately 350 standard size copy boxes full of paper, or 35, 96 gallon bins worth of paper.
- What happens with the material that is shredded on the ProShred truck?
All the material is taken to a factory in Paoli and pulped, dried and stored in bales for use in other recycled material such as tissue paper.
- Security tips will be posted on the plasma screens throughout the campuses, on TUportal and shared on social media. Follow us @TempleTech and Facebook.
- Visit the Stay Safe Online website for online shopping and mobile device safety tips.
- Download our NCSAM Phishing Flyers below to spread the word about how to not fall for Phishing scams.