OneDrive is Microsoft's online backup and syncing service providing you with 1 TB of storage in the cloud.
Table of Contents
OneDrive is Microsoft's service for hosting files in the "cloud" that's available for the Temple University community with your Microsoft 365 subscription. Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) is available for Temple students, faculty and staff for download on TUportal. Once you log in to the portal, look on the left for Microsoft Download.
OneDrive enables you to store and sync files, and then access them from compatible mobile devices and via the web.
Please note: You can save public, sensitive or confidential information on OneDrive but not HIPAA PHI (Protected Health Information). If you’re unsure of where to store different types of files, please consult the Storage Comparison Chart.
You can access your OneDrive files either on the web or by using the OneDrive App for your computer or mobile device.
To access your OneDrive on the web, go to portal.office.com and click OneDrive. (If you do not see OneDrive listed, click All apps.) The website enables you to:
- Access your files from anywhere from the web
- Start using OneDrive right away because no setup is required
- Manually upload and download files from your computer
- Automatically save to OneDrive when you’re using Microsoft 365 online (Word, Excel, etc.)
You can watch our new Using OneDrive on the Web video.
The OneDrive app enables you to:
- Sync your files between your computer and the cloud.
If you add, delete or update a file using the app, the changes are updated on OneDrive on the web and vice versa. If you are working offline, the changes will sync up when you go back online.
- Access your files easily by clicking the OneDrive icon () on your computer or by using the Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.
Setting Up the OneDrive App
Get started using the OnDrive App by performing the quick setup process below:
- Determine your version of Windows or MacOS.
- If your computer is running Windows 10 version 1709 or later, or macOS Mojave or later, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, first see OneDrive App Setup for Unsupported Operating Systems before performing the setup process.
- Perform a quick setup process for Windows or Mac.
IMPORTANT! When prompted for your email address make sure to enter your AccessNetemail@example.com (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). Then, if prompted, click the Work or School button.
You can also watch our new Using the OneDrive App for Windows or Mac video.
- Upload Files
You can upload files or folders from your computer to OneDrive manually or by using drag and drop.
You can also watch our new Uploading Files in OneDrive video.
- Share Files
OneDrive allows you to share folders and files. You can set security on files with a password and expiration date and also set permission for collaborative editing. To learn more, see the Microsoft Share OneDrive files and folders page.
You can also watch our new Sharing Files in OneDrive video.
- Restore a File or Folder You Accidentally Deleted
The OneDrive web app enables you to restore deleted files or folders.
You can also watch our Restoring a File or Folder You Accidentally Deleted in OneDrive video.
- Restore a Previous Version of a File
OneDrive keeps track of previous versions for files. To restore a previous version of a file, see the instructions.
You can also watch our Restoring a Previous Version of a File in OneDrive video.
- Save Storage Space
When using the OneDrive app, the Files on Demand feature provides access to your OneDrive files without having to download all of them and use up storage space on your computer. This feature is available on computers running Windows 10 version 1709 or later or macOS Mojave or later.
- Choose Which Folders to Sync
The OneDrive app enables you to save local disk space by choosing which folders to sync.
You can also watch our new Choose Which Folders to Sync in OneDrive video.
- What if I already have a personal OneDrive Account?
If you have a personal (consumer) account, you can continue using it. It will be separate from your Temple account. On the desktop software, you will have separate folders for each account that will be distinguished by the folder names (Temple account / Personal account name). You will need to log in to the mobile applications and Office Online from the account that you wish to access files from / save files to.
- How long does my Microsoft 365 subscription last?
Your Microsoft 365 subscription through Temple ends one year after you graduate.
- Where can I find additional help?
See the additional OneDrive help from Microsoft. Also, check out the Learning OneDrive video on LinkedIn Learning.