Get started using your Temple Outlook 365 email account.
Table of Contents
Microsoft Outlook 365 is a popular email and calendar service that is increasingly being adopted by colleges and universities throughout the country. It is well integrated with the Microsoft 365 suite of products and offers enhanced security and privacy features.
To access your Outlook 365 email, you have several options you can use:
- Outlook on the web available through the TUportal or TUmail website
- Outlook app on your Windows or Mac computer
- Outlook app on your iPhone or Android phone
To access mail on your phone, you can download and install the Outlook mobile app:
While Outlook on the web and the Outlook app are the recommended methods for accessing Outlook 365 on your computer or phone, you can alternatively set up Apple Mail on a Mac or the default mail apps for your phone:
To access a departmental account, see the instructions below:
To set up an automatic email vacation message, log in to the TUmail website. Then follow the instructions, starting at step 2 on the following page:
Junk E-mail Folder
It's a good idea to regularly check your Junk E-mail folder to determine if you wish to keep any of the messages flagged as spam. If you see a message that is not spam:
- Outlook on the web (tumail.temple.edu): Right-click on the message, select Mark as not junk and then select either to report or not report it to Microsoft. The message will be moved to your Inbox and placed at the date and time it was received.
- Outlook App: Right-click on the message, select Junk, then Not Junk and finally OK to trust the email address. The message will be moved to your Inbox and placed at the date and time it was received.
If you are getting spam in your Inbox:
- Outlook on the web (tumail.temple.edu): Right-click on the message, select Mark as junk and then select either to report or not report it to Microsoft. The message will be moved to your Junk or Spam folder.
- Outlook App: Right-click on the spam message, select Junk, then Block Sender and finally OK to mark messages from that sender as spam. The message will be moved to your Junk or Spam folder.
Block a Sender
If you you are receiving emails you don’t want, you can block the sender.
See ITS Phishing page to learn more about how to identify and report suspicious email messages.
- Microsoft Outlook Training Resources
- Microsoft Outlook Help & Learning
- Linked In Learning - Outlook on the web Essential Training
- Linked In Learning - Outlook Essential Training
- Conversation View
Conversation View is turned on by default. If you are having trouble finding your messages, turn Conversation View off by clicking the Settings icon at the top of the page. Then scroll down and under Conversation view, select Off.
- Reading Pane
The default setting of your screen display has the reading pane on the right. To have the reading pane appear at the bottom, click the Settings icon at the top of the page. Then scroll down and under Reading pane, select Show on the bottom.
- New Window Icon
You can create a mail message in a new window by clicking the open in new window icon on the upper right portion of the compose message screen
If you are having trouble finding a particular message, consider using an Advanced Search Query to refine your search results. For example, to search for the word "holiday" in the Subject of a message, enter subject:holiday in the search box. To learn more, see Search Mail and People in Outlook on the web.
Additional useful links for Outlook on the web:
- Get Help with Outlook on the Web
- Change how email is displayed
- Work with message folders
- Delay or schedule sending mail messages
- Change the time zone and language settings
- Manage contacts
- Work with multiple calendars
- Share your calendar
- Microsoft Help for Mac (See Microsoft Outlook Training Resources for Windows)
- Visual Quick Starts (Windows / Mac) - PDF
- Create a folder
- Create and assign color categories
- Delay or schedule sending mail messages
- Turn on cached Exchange mode
- Open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook Desktop (Departmental Accounts)
- Change the account used to send email messages
- Microsoft Outlook Training (Scroll down for iOS and Android)
- Optimize the Outlook mobile app for your phone or tablet