Table of Contents
Effective Date: November 14, 2012
Date Last Reviewed: November 12, 2014
Date Scheduled for Review: November 12, 2015
Issuing Authority: Executive Director of Information Technology Services
This policy regulates the use of the Temple University WebEx sites. WebEx is a web conferencing application that can be used to host classes, office hours, and other meetings online. Participants communicate in real-time using chat, voice (microphone and speakers), and video (webcam). Instructors and meeting leaders can show PowerPoint presentations, annotate slides, allow students to present, share a document, perform live editing, poll students, and much more. Utilizing these features creates an environment similar to a live on-campus classroom experience.
The following terms will be used throughout this document:
- “Hosts” are users who have the ability to schedule and conduct sessions on WebEx sites.
- “Sessions” are classes, webinars, meetings or other events held through any WebEx session type (Training, Meeting, Event, or Support Centers).
- “Recordings” refer to sessions that have been recorded by hosts and saved to hosts’ recording storage allocation.
- “Quota” refers to the amount of storage allocated to hosts to store recordings.
- “VoIP” refers to Voice over Internet Protocol, a common method of conducting audio conferences over the Internet using computers with microphones and speakers or headsets.
Content presented, distributed or recorded on Temple University WebEx sites is subject to the Temple University and Information Technology Services Policies and Guidelines below.
Temple University may, at any time, without prior notice, and at its sole discretion, remove any sessions or terminate access to content for violation of Temple University, Information Technology Services, or WebEx policies. Use of this tool may be restricted or prohibited if it is determined that an individual is out of compliance with University, Information Technology Services, or WebEx policies.
- By using WebEx, you signify that you agree to the terms and conditions described in this document and all other policies at Temple University.
- You should periodically review the most up-to-date version of this policy. Information Technology Services may, at its sole discretion, modify or revise these policies at any time. You are bound by all modifications or revisions.
Temple University instructors, including full-time faculty, adjuncts, and TAs, and current full-time staff can host sessions on Temple University WebEx sites. By default, WebEx host accounts have:
Functionality to host sessions in Training, Meeting, or Event Center
-Training Center: Used for delivering interactive online courses
-Meeting Center: Used for hosting meetings and collaborating on projects
-Event Center: Used for hosting large webinars and other events
- 500 MB of storage space for retaining WebEx sessions that are recorded
- Ability to conduct live audio conferencing using VoIP
Please note: Your school or college may have made arrangements for you and/or others in your school or college to have additional host functionality. Therefore, your default settings may vary. Please contact the Temple University Help Desk at 215-204-8000 or click the Request Help tab on the Information Technology Services home page.
Hosts are responsible for scheduling and starting sessions, distributing connection information to participants, and all content distributed and recorded in sessions.
- Hosts are responsible for all content, including conversations, chat sessions, shared files, and other content presented, distributed, and recorded in WebEx sessions. All content must adhere to University polices and guidelines.
- Temple University Information Technology Services reserves the right to decide whether content violates polices for reasons, such as copyright infringement, pornography, obscenity, or any other reason. Temple University may at any time, without prior notice and in its sole discretion, remove such content and/or terminate a host account for submitting such material in violation of University policies.
- Although the WebEx system is accessible to individuals with disabilities, it is the hosts' responsibility to provide accessible content in accordance with University policies.
- Confidential content should not be discussed or shared on WebEx.
- Hosts determine whether or not to record sessions and must notify participants if sessions are being recorded. Recordings cannot be edited.
- Hosts are responsible for managing their recordings and staying within the allotted quota. Quota information is displayed in the “My Recorded Meetings”, “My Training Recordings”, and “My Event Recordings” areas. If the quota is exceeded while recording a session already in progress, the session will not be interrupted, and the entire session will be recorded. The WebEx system will block hosts who have exceeded quotas from starting new recordings.
- Session recordings cannot be transferred or copied from the general Temple University WebEx site to custom sites or from custom sites to the general or other custom sites.
- Once a file or recording is deleted on the WebEx system, it is not recoverable. As backup, hosts may download recordings by clicking on the “Download” button next to the name of the recording. It is the hosts’ responsibility to maintain backups.
Although WebEx is extremely reliable, there is no guarantee of WebEx uptime. WebEx is Web-based application hosted externally by Cisco, and, periodically, technical issues may arise. Additionally, periodic maintenance for upgrades or other changes may require downtime.
- Information Technology Services will post information about routine maintenance and service interruptions via the System Status page at: https://systemstatus.temple.edu.
- WebEx is licensed annually. Temple University may, at any time, determine not to renew the WebEx contract. If this happens, e-mail notification will be sent to your TUmail address at least one month prior to allow you time to archive recordings you may wish to retain and transition to another Web conferencing solution.
Please contact WebEx Technical Support at 866-229-3239 (U.S. and Canada Toll-Free), +1-408-435-7088 (International Toll) or https://support.webex.com/support/manage-ticket.html with questions regarding the WebEx application. For questions regarding logging into WebEx, quotas, polices, or other account or access issues, please contact the Temple University Help Desk at 215-204-8000 or http://tuhelp.temple.edu.