The Remote Access website (http://remote.temple.edu) provides access to Temple's TUapps and VPN resources, including the ability to remotely access your office computer.
Table of Contents
On Thursday, February 13 from midnight until 4:00 am the next morning, the following websites will be unavailable due to system maintenance:
For most users no further action will be needed. People who access VPN from a Windows machine, however, will need to install an updated version of the Citrix Access Gateway Plug-in after the maintenance is performed. People who access VPN from a Mac may need to install an updated version of the Citrix Access Gateway Plug-in after the maintenance is performed.
If you need assistance with installing the new software or have questions, please contact the Help Desk through the TUhelp website or call 215-204-8000.
Temple's remote.temple.edu website enables you to:
- Access your office computer from off campus
TUapps are a group of programs residing on a central server that are available to selected individuals within Temple University. You do not need to have these applications installed on your computer to use them. The TUapps also enable faculty and staff to remotely access their Windows office computers and shared drives.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection establishes a "secure tunnel" to Temple's network from external locations. Authorized Temple University employees and vendors can establish a VPN connection to Temple's network. If you are not authorized to use this resource, you will not see the VPN option.
If you have not already signed up for the university’s Two-Step Verification process you will need to do so to access the remote access website. If you plan to access this website from off campus, make sure to register your cell phone or a landline phone at that location for Two Step Verification.
Prepare Your Office Computer to Accept Remote Connections
If you plan to access your office computer from off-campus, you will need to prepare it to accept remote connections.
Follow the one-time setup instructions below for Windows 10, Windows 7 and Mac to get your computer ready.
- Your office computer must have a wired connection to the Internet to accept remote connections. You cannot remotely access an office computer that has a wireless connection.
- If you plan to access a Mac in your office, you will need to purchase a software product called NuoRDS. Temple offers a 25% discount off the retail price of the product. To obtain the discount code, go to the Temple download.temple.edu site and log in. You can use either a personal credit card or Temple Purchasing Card (TPC) to purchase the software, as described under Instructions - Mac in this section.
VPN accounts are limited to selected individuals who need to access resources that are not available in TUapps or from their computer. To request a VPN account, contact the Help Desk through the TUhelp website and include the name of the resource you need to access.
Q: In the Two Step Verification window, I do not see an option to receive a text message? How can I use this option?
A: To receive a text message, select your device and click Enter a Passcode.
A blue bar will appear at the bottom of the window. In this bar, click Text me new codes. You will receive a text message with a passcode. Enter the passcode and click Log In.
Q: How do I know if Citrix Receiver is already installed on my computer?
A: Perform one of the following:
1. Right-click the Start button and select Control Panel.
2. Next to View by on the upper right, select Category.
3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a Program.
4. If Citrix Receiver appears it is installed. Otherwise, you will need to install it.
1. Click the Desktop.
2. Click the Go menu and select Applications.
3. If Citrix Receiver appears it is installed. Otherwise, you will need to install it.
Q: How can I check for Citrix Receiver updates?
A: If you are using Windows:
1. On the right-hand portion of the task bar, located on the bottom of your screen, click the caret symbol (^).
2. Right-click the Citrix Receiver icon and select Check for Updates.
3. If notified that one or more updates are available:
a) Click Download.
b) When prompted, click Install.
c) Once the update completes, click Close.