Table of Contents
Effective as of Summer 2016
This policy covers printing in all computer labs managed by Temple University Information Technology Services as well as the other facilities listed in this document. Labs run by individual Schools, Colleges or departments at Temple that are not part of this program may have their own policies covering printer use.
All currently-enrolled Temple University students paying the University Services Fee receive a free printing quota. This quota may be used for standard (8.5" x 11" black and white) and color laser printing only. There is a charge for plotters and some specialty printing. The amount of your quota depends on the amount of University Services Fee paid (based on credit hours) for the semester in which you are enrolled. If you exhaust your quota, your Diamond Dollars account will be automatically charged for any printing. At the end of each six-month printing period, any unused quota is deleted. The quota has no cash value; there are no refunds or transfers for unused quotas.
Students receive quotas based on the number of credit hours they are taking and the corresponding University Services Fee.
- 9 or more credit hours
- 5 to 8 credit hours
- 1 to 4 credit hours
- A “sheet” consists of a single piece of paper, regardless of whether you have printed on one side or both sides. Because of this, students can make the most of their quotas by selecting double-sided (duplex) printing. That way, you can print two document pages on one sheet of paper.
- If a student drops a class, the quota will be automatically reduced to the appropriate level.
- If a student adds a class, the quota will be automatically increased to the appropriate level.
- At the beginning of Summer Session 1, the quota will be reset for students enrolled for Summer Session 1 courses based on the number of credit hours of classes being taken.
- At the beginning of Summer Session 2, the quota will be reset for students enrolled for Summer Session 2 courses based on the number of credit hours of classes being taken.
- The maximum quota that is permitted in an account at any given time is 300 sheets, regardless of the number of credits taken.
- Quotas are subject to change. Check for posted quotas at printing areas.
There is no cash value to the printing quota. At the end of the Quota Cycle, any remaining free quota is deleted; there are no refunds or transfers for unused quotas.
The free printing quota is funded by the University Services Fee. Only students currently enrolled in classes and paying this fee are eligible to receive a quota.
- Temple faculty and staff do not receive a free quota unless they are enrolled in a credited course for which they have paid the University Services Fee. Temple faculty and staff may pay for printing through their Diamond Dollars account.
- Departments that wish to provide their faculty with printing funds may contact the Diamond Dollars Office to arrange a Journal Entry Transfer (JET) to faculty members’ personal Diamond Dollars accounts.
- Students who are not enrolled in classes during a Quota Period do not receive a printing quota.
- Alumni do not receive a printing quota. Alumni may pay for printing by using a “Guest-Cash Printing Card.” Also, recent alumni may pay for printing using their Diamond Dollars account, if their Diamond Dollars account is still active.
- Persons enrolled only in special programs which do not charge the University Services Fee (such as non-credit programs or summer programs) are not eligible for the free quota. They may pay for printing by using a “Guest-Cash Printing Card.”
- Other guests of the University do not receive a printing quota. Guests may pay for printing by using a “Guest-Cash Printing Card.”
The free quota applies only to standard-sized black-and-white printing, standard-sized color laser printing and inkjet printing. There is a charge for all specialty printing, such as plotter printing. See the Rates page for prices. These prices are subject to change (not responsible for typographical errors); check for posted prices at your printing location.
Note: The free quota does not apply to specialized printing. Color laser, inkjet, and plotter printing are not available in all locations. Specialty printing prices listed above are for printing at the TECH Center only. Specialty printing prices may vary at some locations, depending on printer type and paper used. Check the specialty printing prices posted at individual locations.
In order to print, you will need your Temple University OWLcard. Printing instructions may vary slightly at some locations, but the following are general guidelines for printing:
- Do your work as needed on the computer. When you are ready to print, issue a print command from your program menu. (In labs with multiple printers, you may select the printer type in the dialogue box).
- If the workstation did not require you to type in your AccessNet username and password when you logged into the computer, you will be asked to enter your username at this time. If prompted to do so, type in your AccessNet username. (You will not need to enter a password).
- Go to the lab’s laser printer and swipe your OWLcard in the slot provided at the printing terminal. The magnetic stripe should point to the left. You will see a list of all of your current print jobs that are waiting to be printed.
- Select the job that you want to print, then select the print button. The job will then print out at the printer.
- If you want to see the balance of your free printing quota, and any other funds you have in your Diamond Dollars account, touch the “Account Balances” button on the terminal.
- Press the “Exit” button to exit the terminal.
Visitors who use a “Guest-Cash Printing Card” follow a similar procedure. The username that is printed on their Guest Card is entered in place of the AccessNet username.
- Shared Pool
You have one quota shared by all labs. If you print in multiple labs, all printing is drawn off the same quota total.
- Usage Restrictions
Your printing quota is intended for your personal, academic use only. You may not use your quota to print other people’s work or sell your unused quota. You may not use your printing quota for commercial purposes.
- Conserve Your Quota
Your printing quota is intended to be used throughout the six-month Quota Period. It is a good practice to conserve your printing so you will be able to print your work towards the end of the semester. This is particularly important when your coursework requires significant printing for final reports or projects.
- Double-Sided Printing
Double-sided (duplex) printing is the default for Information Technology Services labs. This way, you can print two document pages on one sheet of your paper quota. You may select single-sided printing as an option.
The free printing quota is limited to 8.5” x 11” size black and white laser printing, color laser printing, and inkjet printing. There is a charge for all specialized printing. You cannot use your free printing credits for specialized printing.
- Unused Quotas
At the end of the printing period, any remaining free quota is deleted; there are no refunds or transfers for unused quotas. There is no cash value to your printing quota. At the beginning of the next semester, a fresh quota of free sheets will be reinstated. Quotas are deleted the next business day after the Quota Period ends (December 31 or August 3).
- Quota Management
Your printing quota is managed through the OWLcard system, but it is kept separate from your Diamond Dollars funds. Your quota is for printing only; you may not use your printing quota to purchase other Diamond Dollar items. There is no cash value to your printing quota, other than for printing. To view your available quota, touch the “Account Balances” button on the laser printer card swipe terminals.
- Standard laser printing only
The printing quota applies to standard-sized 8.5” x 11” black and white printing and color laser printing only. There is a charge for all specialized printing, including plotter printing. The printing quota cannot be used on photocopy machines. Photocopy machines accept cash and Diamond Dollars funds only.
- No Refunds for User Errors
Please preview your job before printing to avoid unwanted blank sheets or other errors. You will be charged for these sheets and there are no refunds. If you use the plotter or color printer, review your document and settings carefully. You will be charged for the print regardless of any such errors. You may only use your own inkjet-approved paper in the Inkjet printers. No refunds will be given for your own paper. You will be asked for documentation showing that your paper is inkjet approved.
- Refunds Due to Printer Error
Refunds are issued only for problems due to defective equipment, such as paper jams or missing ink/toner. Refunds consist of replacement sheets only. Quotas have no cash value. Please allow a 24-hour turnaround time (business days only) for any refunds. Please see consultants or managers in the lab if you have any printing problems.
- Guest-Cash Printing Cards
Temple University students, faculty, and staff use their OWLcards/Diamond Dollars accounts when paying for printing. When visitors to the University need to print in libraries or computer labs, they must use a Guest-Cash Printing Card. These cards are available at the service desks in the libraries and applicable computer labs. Cards are normally distributed with $0 value on them, and the user must add cash to the cards. To deposit cash to their Printing Card, visitors may do any of the following:
-Go to diamonddollars.temple.edu and click on the “Deposit Funds” link. You may deposit funds using a credit card.
-Go to the TECH Center at 12th and Montgomery and deposit cash ($1 to $20 bills) using the self-service Value Transfer Machine located next to the 2nd floor consulting desk.
This document, including printing quotas and pricing, may be subject to change.