To keep web browser performance running smoothly on your smartphone, it’s a good idea to periodically clear out the browser cache (pronounced cash). The cache is a holding area where your phone temporarily places web pages that you've viewed.
The web browser also saves cookies, such as your shopping preferences for various web sites, and a history of the web addresses you have visited.
As the cache fills up, it can slow down your browser's performance. To resolve this issue, do some digital housekeeping by following the instructions below:
- Press the Home button.
- Select Settings and scroll down to Safari.
- In the Safari options, scroll towards the bottom and tap Clear History and Website Data.
- You will receive a warning that your browsing history, cookies and other data will be deleted. Tap Clear History and Data to confirm.
- Open the Chrome browser and tap the menu button on the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Then, under Advanced, tap Privacy.
- Next, scroll down and tap Clear browsing data.
- Check the items you wish to clear out and then tap Clear Data.
If the options listed above are different on your phone or the browser you are using, perform a web search for how clear browser cache <your phone model and your preferred browser> for instructions.