Now that you have become familiar with using Zoom, try taking your video experience to the next level with these tips to make your virtual meetings pleasant for you and your participants.
Touch Up Your Appearance & Add a Virtual Background
Let Zoom touch up your appearance. This option is subtle but helps give you a smooth and polished look when using video in your meetings.
Virtual backgrounds allow you to display an image or video as your background during a meeting. This can help you remove distractions in the background that you don’t want others to see, such as a messy room, and it will also add a unique view for the other participants in your meeting.
Note that this feature works automatically on newer computers and performs best with uniform lighting. If you have an older computer, you will need a green screen. For more details, see the Zoom site on this feature.
Here's how to set these features so they're ready for your meeting:
- Go to your desktop application list, find Zoom and sign in. If you don't have the desktop client, you can download it from the Zoom Client for Meetings site.
- In the top right corner, click your profile picture or initials, then click Settings.
- Click Video and add a check in the box next to Touch up my appearance.
- Next, click Virtual Background.
- You can choose one of the pre-made virtual backgrounds Zoom has available by clicking on an image, or add your own by clicking + in the right corner to upload an image or video from your computer. The image you select will appear as your background in your next Zoom meeting.
Tip: To expand your choices, you can also search the web for images or Zoom backgrounds, right-click (PC) or control+click (Mac) on one, save it and then upload it.
- Close the Settings window.
Want to change your background during a meeting?
- Click once on the screen and, in the bottom left corner, click the up arrow to the right of Start/Stop Video. Then click Choose Virtual Background.
- Choose one of the pre-made virtual backgrounds Zoom has available or add your own by clicking + in the top right corner to upload an image or video.
- Close the Settings window to return to the meeting.
Change the Way You View Participants in a Meeting
Wondering how to view all the participants in a meeting at the same time? You can change the default video layout from Active Speaker view to Gallery View.
To change the view:
- Click Gallery View in the top right corner of the meeting. Gallery view will allow you to view all the meeting participants.
- To return to Speaker View, click Speaker View in the top right corner.