Have you ever received a PDF file that you would like to mark up? The mark-up options you have will depend on the PDF viewer you are using.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
To add comments, highlights and text directly onto the document, consider downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. You can then:
Add a comment:
- Click the Add sticky note tool in the toolbar.
- Click where you want the note to appear.
- Type text in the pop-up note box that opens. Close the box when you’re finished. The sticky note will appear in the document.
- Click the Highlight Text tool.
- Click and drag over the text you want to highlight.
- Click the Tools menu and select Comment.
- In the Comment toolbar, click the Add text box tool.
- Click where you want the text to appear and begin typing.
PDF Viewer Apps
Most likely, you also have another program on your computer that automatically opens PDFs.
On the Mac, the default Preview app enables you to add text, create annotations, and draw lines and shapes. For more information, scroll to the bottom portion of the Preview app support page.
In Windows, PDFs open by default in either Microsoft Edge (Windows 10) or the Reader app (Windows 8.1). While Microsoft Edge only allows you to view files, the Reader App allows for some basic editing. For more information, see the Reader app FAQ page.