Want to make your Zoom meeting even more productive and engaging? Give your participants the chance to break into groups to discuss and collaborate on topics during the meeting. Zoom Breakout Rooms are perfect for large work meetings with multiple teams.
To get started, you first need to Enable Breakout Rooms in your Zoom account. To do this:
- Sign into Zoom, then click Settings in the menu on the left.
- Under the Meeting tab, click In Meeting (Advanced).
- Make sure Breakout Room is enabled by the toggle being set to the right and the color being set to blue. If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it.
Now that you have enabled Breakout Rooms, you can start using this feature at any time during your meeting:
- When you’re in your meeting, you can access your meeting controls bar and click Breakout Rooms.
- Choose the number of rooms into which you would like to divide your participants into by clicking the up and down arrow to increase or decrease the number of rooms.
Note that you can add up to 50 different breakout rooms and that the maximum number of participants in a breakout room is dependent on the meeting capacity and number of breakout rooms created.
- Choose to either allow Zoom to Automatically break up your participants into the Breakout Rooms, or if you would like to Manually assign participants into rooms yourself.
- Click Create Rooms to create the rooms. Note that if you chose the manual option in the step above, you will need to click Assign to designate your participants to the rooms of your choosing before having the group break out.
After the rooms are created, you can click Options before opening the breakout room to adjust certain settings, such as allowing participants to return to the main session at any time during the breakout rooms session or setting the amount of time until breakout rooms automatically close.
- Click Open All Rooms when you are ready for your participants to break out.
As a meeting host, when you click the Breakout Rooms icon again in the meeting controls bar, a Breakout Rooms window will appear where you can:
- Choose to join different rooms during the meeting by clicking Join next to the name of the Breakout Room you want to join.
- Send messages to all attendees in all the rooms by clicking Broadcast a message to all and then typing your message.
- Close the rooms during the meeting to bring back everyone into the main room by clicking Close All Rooms.
To learn more about these features and the limitations when using Zoom Breakout Rooms, visit the Zoom Managing breakout rooms page.