The wired network in Temple's residence halls provide access to Temple resources and the internet.
Temple University provides Internet access (wireless and wired) as an amenity, which is included in the price of your room. Even if you plan to use a wireless connection, it's a good idea to set up your wired connection, so you have a backup way to access the Internet.
- WiFi enabled device
- Mac OS X 10.13 or later (High Sierra or Mojave) recommended. Also, run Mac OS System Updates so that your system is kept current.
NOTE: macOS Catalina is not currently supported in the Residence Halls. The residence hall network will be upgraded over the university winter break to be fully compatible.
- Windows 10, 8.1: Major Manufacturers only (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Microsoft). Also, run Microsoft Windows System Updates so that your system is current.
- Custom, home-built, or prebuilt (e.g., iBuyPower, CyberPower and Digital Storm) systems are not supported.
- Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) will only be supported through the Fall 2019 semester. (Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020 and Temple University will no longer allow Windows 7 systems on its network after that date.)
- An approved antivirus software application:
- Windows users: Enable Windows Defender. Alternatively, you can also use the latest versions of: Norton (Internet Security, Security, Security with Backup), Symantec, McAfee or Sophos.
- Mac users: Turn on your Mac firewall.
- 16GB RAM minimum recommended
When accessing the wired network in the residence halls for the first time using a new laptop or desktop computer, perform the following steps:
- Plug one end of your Ethernet cable into your computer and the other end into the red jack closest to your assigned bed.
- Restart your computer.
- Open a web browser and go to www.temple.edu. Your browser will be redirected automatically to TUconnect and you will be prompted to install the ClearPass OnGuard security program. This program ensures your computer has an approved antivirus software application:
Your Internet connection will be available once ClearPass OnGuard is installed and verifies that your firewall/antivirus software is up to date.